The President of the Foundation S. Gurbax Singh Shergill accompanied by Sh. P.L Kaler I.F.S. Retd. met DC Ropar in the first week of September 2001 and requested him to constitute a preliminary survey committee to identify the flag hill. The DC constituted the committee with following members:-
Members of the committee:-
A) DC development Ropar Mr. Brar
B) SDM and Tehsildar.
C) Divisional Forest Officer
D) Prof. Gurbax Singh Shergill, President (PHEF).
E) Sh. P.L. Kaler, IFS Principal Chief Conservator of Forest Punjab retired.
F) The Members of the committee surveyed the Asron Hill area near Satluj Bridge and also visited Garhbagha and Garhdholian.
G) Local people and representative of villages who participated in the survey and told about the history and place of the flag.
- The Committee headed by ADC development Mr. Brar went round Asron, Garhdholian and Garhbagha villages who gave the information regarding the eject place Maharaja flag which was hoisted during his meeting with to governor general of India Sir William Bentinck on 18 October 1931====?????====.
- The muni and other persons seen with the president of the foundation in the photograph below told the ADC that due to heavy rains in 1988 the asthdhatu flag pole tilted downwards due to erosion and was taken away by the local agriculturist and a driver of the Public relation department on a tractor trally and was sold in the local kabari market.
- The committee submitted its report to DC Grewal of Ropar on 17th sept., who sent the report to the director Archeology vide letter no. 266/PA dated 10-9-2001 with the request to survey the hill area and identify the flag hill. The archeological department team visited the Asron hill area and nearby villages. A copy of the survey report was sent to DC Ropar vide letter no. 7393 dated 18-9-2002.
Archeological survey report dated 18.09-2001
- A meeting of the foundation was held and it was decided that the Asron Hill area facing the Noorpur Bedi road and the river should be converted into Maharaja Ranjit Singh National Memorial Hill Park. The President of the foundation requested Chief Minister Sardar Parkash Singh Badal to sanction a grant for this park and lay the foundation stone of the park. He suggested that the foundation should approach S. Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa, the Central Cabinet Minister and Chairman of bicentenary celebration committee of Maharaja Ranjit Singh’s coronation. The President met Sardar Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa and requested him to sanction grant for Maharaja Ranjit Singh National Memorial Hill Park. Sardar Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa accepted the request of the president and agreed to the day of foundation on 19 oct. 2001.
- The president of the foundation wrote a letter to S. Ramesh Inder Singh, IAS principal sectary industries and chairman of Swaraj Mazda who instructed the Swaraj mazda authorities to make the arrangements for holding the foundation laying ceremony.
- The function was arranged in the front of the Asron Hill area with the cooperation of district administration Ropar and Nawanshahar with the help of Swaraj Mazda company. Sardar Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa performed the unveiling ceremony of the memorial stone identifying the flag hill of Maharaja Ranjit Singh.
Photographs of unveiling ceremony of the memorial stone are given below:-
Ropar Citizens receiving the chief guest:-
- S. Amarjit singh satyal President of Ropar municipal committee is also seen in the picture
- Sardar Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa unveiling the memorial stone identifying the flag hill